I hate wasting food so when I found a few zucchinis in the veggie drawer that were looking a bit soft I figured I would throw together some zucchini bread as a treat to have around for the week. I was feeling really indecisive and couldn’t choose between standard zucchini bread and a chocolatey version so I decided on a marbled loaf so I could have the best of both worlds!
This recipe has a mix of Bob’s Red Mill Cup 4 Cup flour, oat flour (made by blending gluten free oats in a food processor until they are very fine) and coconut flour. This blend creates a consistency that is somewhere between a standard banana or zucchini bread and a fudgey brownie. This makes it really versatile as it can be great as a breakfast treat topped with some peanut butter and jam or a delicious dessert served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
If you love chocolate, you could easily double the amount of cocoa powder and chocolate chips in the recipe and make a full chocolate loaf and if you would rather have a more traditional zucchini bread you can omit the cocoa and chocolate all together. This would also be wonderful with a cup of chopped walnuts added in. However you choose to eat or make this bread I would highly recommend enjoying it with a glass of milk or a cup of coffee!
Ingredients: (Prep Time: 20 min. Bake time: 50 – 60 min. Makes 2 loaves):
- 1 1/2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Cup 4 Cup flour
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour (made by blending oats in food processor until mostly fine)
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt (preferably full fat)
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder (optional)
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 and grease two 9×5 baking tins.
- In a large bowl, mix together cup for cup flour, oat flour, coconut flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cinnamon
- In a smaller bowl mix together eggs, yogurt, almond milk, sugar and vanilla. Slowly add in melted butter mixing the entire time so as to not cook the eggs
- Combine flour and egg mixture and mix until smooth (about 2 minutes)
- Mix in zucchini until well incorporated
- Divide the batter evenly into two bowls and in one bowl mix in cocoa powder and chocolate chips
- Alternate 1/2 cup spoonfuls of chocolate and plain batter into greased baking tins until you run out of batter
- Bake for 50 – 60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean
- Allow bread 30 minutes to cool before removing from pan and slicing. Enjoy!