Well, it has been a while since I last shared a recipe and I am going to use the “2020 has been crazy” card as part of my excuse. Josh and I have been riding out the majority of quarantine at our parent’s places so I have been able to get a lot of feedback on some ideas I had been playing around with and, with a bit of trial and error, I’ve come up with a few recipes that are a big hit.
This One Pot Quinoa Chili has been a favorite with my family. It has a ton of vegetables, uses way less meat than standard chili, the quinoa lightens things up a bit and the clean up is really easy. It is full of flavor especially if you let it simmer for a few hours and makes a ton of food, which I see as a bonus because it tastes even better the next day. I also cannot stress enough how much better homemade chili seasoning is to store bought. Having control of the amount of each seasoning that you use makes such a difference to the flavor and the majority of store bought seasoning mixes have all sorts of additives, like gluten, which are completely unnecessary. Plus, the addition of cinnamon to this recipe adds a bit of sweetness and warmth that is seriously delicious!
I recommend topping this chili off with a dollop of greek yogurt, diced onion, cilantro and a bit of shredded cheese but it is excellent on it’s own as well. If you are vegan or vegetarian you can absolutely omit the ground beef all together add a bit more quinoa (maybe 1/2 cup) and this would still be a great meal.
Ingredients: (Prep Time: 30 min. Total time: 70 – 90 min. Serves: 8):
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef (I prefer 90/10)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 bell peppers (I like to do a few green and a few other colors), chopped
- 2 poblano peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1, 4.5 oz. can diced green chilis
- 3 chipotle peppers in Adobo Sauce, diced, plus 2 tbsp. sauce
- 1, 28 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 3, 15 oz. cans black beans (do not drain)
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 3 heaping tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tbsp. cumin
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. oregano
- Diced onion
- Greek yogurt
- Shredded cheddar
- Tortilla chips
- In a large pot heat olive oil over medium high and add ground beef. Cook until beef has just barely turned brown.
- Add in garlic, onion, bell and poblano peppers and cook until they start to sweat and cook down a bit (about 5 minutes).
- Mix in diced green chilis, adobo peppers and sauce and all spices. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes and beans and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Add in quinoa and water. Stir until quinoa is well incorporated. Bring to a boil and then cover and simmer for at least 40 minutes stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pot. If you can let it simmer a bit longer, go for it, the flavors keep getting better.
- Serve with whatever toppings your heart desires!