I’ve always considered Mac & Cheese an ultimate comfort foods However, as I got older, I started eating gluten-free and my taste buds evolved a bit and boxed mac and cheese lost its appeal.
I came up with a healthy gluten-free mac and cheese recipe using Banza noodles made from chickpeas. They are high protein and have a unique texture. I think they taste especially great in this mac & cheese recipe and add something interesting to it.
A fellow blogger recommended cooking the noodles in chicken broth for extra flavor which was a great idea. I also threw in some broccoli to cut down on the carbs a bit and add some extra veggies. However, that is totally optional and can be omitted. This is a great recipe for a healthier twist on classic Mac & Cheese that both kids and adults will enjoy. This recipe will make about 3-4 servings as a side dish or 2-3 servings as a meal.
Ingredients (Total time: 30 min. Serves: 8):
- 1 box Banza Noodles
- 2 cubes chicken bullion
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. gluten-free all purpose flour (I usually use Bob’s Red Mill)
- 1 ½ cups 2% milk
- ¼ tsp. paprika
- ¼ tsp. garlic powder
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 1 ½ cup shredded cheddar
- ½ cups shredded parmesan
- extra salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles in a medium pot according to package directions, but throw 2 cubes of chicken bullion into the boiling water. Once cooked, drain, place back into pot and set aside.
- Steam broccoli until completely cooked, drain and place in pot with noodles.
In a medium sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter and stir in flour. Let the mixture bubble for about 1 or 2 minutes stirring the entire time.
- Slowly add milk to flour mixture about ¼ cup at a time whisking the entire time. Once the sauce starts to thicken, add the next ¼ cup of milk. Repeat until you have added all the milk and until the sauce is nicely thickened. Continuing to whisk the entire time.
- Whisk in paprika and garlic powder. Once incorporated, add in all of the cheese and whisk until totally melted.
- Pour the cheese sauce over the noodles and broccoli and mix in cheese sauce.